The Sudbury Festival Schedule has been posted, so I am now able to provide you with detailed information regarding the trip. Please reply if you have any questions or concerns.
Full Itinerary – Updated Feb 25 with new return time to Eastview
The full itinerary is available in two formats:
This is currently a draft, but I don’t anticipate anything to change much.
If students are bringing a mobile device with them on the trip, they are asked to download the mobile itinerary to their device (can be done by pointing your mobile browser to www.eastviewmusic.ca/sudbury.pdf). This will allow them to access the itinerary even when they do not have Internet availability. Students may also request a printout of the itinerary, but we will only print as many as we are asked for.
If anyone is interested in viewing the full festival schedule, it can be found here.
Comfort Inn Regent Street Sudbury
Teacher Cell Phone Numbers:
Dave Stewart: 705-818-8386
Paula Kowalchuk: 705-434-8557
Group Messaging Service:
All students who will be bringing a cell phone on the trip are asked to join our group messaging service, which allows us to send mass text messages out to all trip participants. This is similar to the Remind service, but will work with all carriers (Remind no longer works with Rogers). To join, text:
join your_name (for example: join Donald Duck)
What to Bring
For clothing, please see the packing list at the end of this email. On the first day, students should have their uniforms, and anything else required to perform, in their carry-on luggage.
Students will be responsible for purchasing (or bringing) four meals on the trip:
- Thursday lunch
- Friday lunch
- Saturday lunch
- Saturday dinner
For each of these meals, there will be a selection of fast food locations. Depending on student choices, $40-$50 should be plenty to cover meals.
As outlined in the itinerary, there are a few optional expenses:
- Breakfast outside the hotel
- Either the Planetarium ($7) or IMAX Theatre ($10) at Science North, subject to availability. Tickets for the IMAX Theatre may also be purchased in advance here.
Please also bring two toonies:
- One for hotel gratuity
- One for bus driver gratuity
Beyond that, students can factor in any personal spending they may want to do.
Possibility of Inclement Weather
If buses are cancelled on our departure day, February 28, and conditions improve throughout the day, I will try to get permission to depart on that evening. This information will be communicated by email and the group messaging system, so please keep an eye open for something from me in this case. If getting to the school for an evening departure will be problematic, please contact me.
Failing that, we will try to depart the next morning. The full policy on inclement weather can be found in the original information package sent home, but in any case I will keep everyone up to date by email.
Stockey Centre Performance
As mentioned previously, while having the chance to sing/play in this magnificent venue will be an incredible experience in itself, having an audience would make it even better! We would welcome anybody who would like to drive up on February 28 for our FREE 7:00pm concert.
On a related note, if anybody is heading up that way in the next couple of weeks and doesn’t mind hanging up a few posters in the Parry Sound community, that would also be very appreciated.
- Casual pants and shirts
- Socks and undergarments
- Jacket and winter clothing for any foreseeable weather conditions
- Good walking shoes (suggested: wear these on the bus)
- Winter boots if you think you might use them
- Performance Uniform, including appropriate socks and shoes (and belt for boys) – Should be in carry-on bag on the bus the first day
**Do not carry valuable jewellery
- Toothbrush, toothpaste, floss
- Shampoo, hair products
- Feminine hygiene products
- Lip balm
- Sunglasses/Eye glasses
- Personal medication. Consider a small package of antacids, pain relievers, and cold medication as teachers cannot provide medication to students.
Financial and Electronic Items
- Money as detailed above
- Bank card (optional)
- Health card (optional)
- Camera and/or cell phone
- Chargers for electronics or spare batteries
- Watch or phone with clock and alarm
- DVDs you would like to watch on the bus (with a G or PG rating)
- Healthy snacks
- A reusable water bottle (good for the bus ride)
- Choir or orchestra folders and music
- Orchestra – bows, rosin, mouthpiece, etc