I have fair bit of information to pass along about what’s upcoming with the Eastview Concert Choir. Thanks to everyone who has provided me with information that has allowed me to get this year’s choir email database up to date. Please take a moment when you can to add the dates listed below into the calendar.
The choir has their debut performance at our school’s Remembrance Day assembly on Friday, November 9. Students should arrive at school in their performance uniforms (details below), and will be excused from class to participate during periods 1 and 2.
We then have two busy weeks during the Christmas season, as outlined below. In the next couple weeks, students will be asked to confirm their availability to attend these performances. Performance attendance is important as all choir members have put in substantial time and effort preparing, and they require the support of each other at concerts. While I recognize there may be last minute illnesses or emergencies, I ask to be made aware of other extenuating circumstances well ahead of time so we can plan accordingly.
- Wed Nov 28 – Family of Schools concert (performance #1) at Eastview, beginning at 7:00pm.
- Thurs Nov 29 – Family of Schools concert (performance #2) at Eastview, beginning at 7:00pm.
- Fri Nov 30 – OPTIONAL – Performance at Sainte Marie Among the Hurons (additional $10 bus fee required). The bus will depart after school, and the event takes place over the evening.
- Wed Dec 5 – Eastview Christmas Concert at Collier Street United Church, beginning at 7:30pm.
- Fri Dec 7 – GRADE 9 CLASS ONLY – Singing at Horseshoe Valley event
- Wed Dec 12 – Performance for the Barrie Senior’s Serenade concert series, 2:30-3:30pm (during normal rehearsal time)
I will share detailed information about the above events as they get closer, including information for family and friends who would like to be in the audience.
Registration Forms, Choir Fees, Uniforms
Thank you to those who have already submitted forms and fees. They are due next Friday, October 26. Students who require an extra registration form can get one at this week’s rehearsal. The fee for this year is $50 (not $60, as was stated in the original letter), and can be paid by cash, cheque, or online (https://simcoecounty.schoolcashonline.com/). The online option will unfortunately not be available for people who joined the choir late.
Once fees and registration have been received, choir members will be provided with a professional black choir folder to use for the year, and new members will receive a black performance shirt to keep. In addition to the shirt, students should wear the following for performances:
- A long black skirt (ankle length) OR black dress pants (normally well priced at Walmart). Leggings or jeans are not acceptable.
- Black socks or nylons
- Black dress shoes – either high heels or flats. Something comfortable to stand in for a period of time.
- Black dress pants. Jeans are not acceptable.
- Black belt
- Black socks
- Black dress pants
Overnight Trip and Fundraising
As most of you are aware, we were required to cancel our international trip this year due to multiple issues. We will instead be travelling to Sudbury and Parry Sound from February 28-March 2 for a festival and an additional performance opportunity. The cost will be between $300 and $400, and while it is optional, we’d love to have most of the choir! A detailed information package will be sent home in the next week or two.
To keep fees as low as possible, we run various fundraisers throughout the year. In some cases, students who participate in fundraising will have their trip price reduced. For details, please see http://www.eastviewmusic.ca/fundraising.
There is a solo in Freedom Trilogy that I will be auditioning for in early November. It is a variation of Amazing Grace, and students who might be interested in the solo should familiarize themselves with it at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KxWsItL7lg from 3:08-3:48.